Saturday, June 29, 2013

Tutorial: Re-covering old throw pillows!


So if you follow me on Facebook you know that I recently recovered some umm not so cute throw pillows! I just want to tell you it was so easy and I love how they turned out! Anyone with basic sewing knowledge can do this!
Supplies
Enough material to cover your pillows. I did two pillows 18 inches by 18 inches. So I used one yard of fabric that was 45 inches wide. The material I used was from the home decor section. 
matching thread.
sewing machine.
Ruler
Scissors. 

Time about one hour.

Lets start!


Step 1
Measure your pillow from side to side.



Step 2. 
If your pillow has pipping cut it off so you can re-use it.

Step 3. 
Cut out your fabric, I add 1 inch to both sides for sewing room. 


 Step 4.If you are doing piping cut out 4 fabric strips 1.5 inches wide each and as long as a side of you pillow. Press so that they are folded in half. Lay the cording inside.
(Like my custom designer mat made by my two year old?)
Step 5. Sew the fabric strip with the cording inside to one square of the pillow. Do it with right sides together and the edges meet. 

Step 6.  Take the second square of fabric and place it on top with right sides together and sew around the edges.  Leaving a hole in the middle of one of the sides to turn your fabric through and put your pillow in. 

Step 8. Put your pillow in the hole. It will be hard but you can do it!!

Step 9. Sew the hole closed either by hand or machine! and you are done! 










No comments:

Post a Comment