Saturday, June 29, 2013

Hugo The Happy Starfish - The Secret To Happiness

Hugo The Happy Starfish - The Secret To Happiness
 
Written by Suzy Liebermann
When I first recieved this book and read it to the boys I will be honest. I didn't get part of the story when the heart becomes a blood drop and I thought the story should focus on family as what makes someone happy. Family will always be the most important thing to me so I always think people should teach their kids that family is a key to happiness. After I read this book about 4 times to the boys I decided to contact the Author with my concerns. I didn't want to give this book a bad review because I could tell it came from a good place. After talking with the Author Suzy Liebermann my mind has been completely changed about this book!  I think had I read the whole series I would not of had the concerns that I first had. 

The Secret To Happiness is about a sad starfish who wants to be happy the book is also used to introduce the project of time in 2nd grade, where the children would learn, what "hour, day, month, year ... and forever" means. Not only that but it incorporates Spanish key words for times that are used. So if you are looking for a book that is going to teach your kids and they can really learn from it this is the book for you. It teaches kids empathy, sharing, timing and Spanish! 

So what is the book about? After Hugo is a sad starfish who only wants one thing, to be happy. He tries several things to make him happy he realizes the only way to truly be happy is to share. What he chooses to share is his heart. Sharing makes his heart do "somersaults". Eventually his heart splits and a blood drop comes out which he shares with a sea horse who needs his help. This helps the seahorse and changes his life. This is the part I didn't understand but when I talked to the author I found out it was about so much more than just helping a sea horse. Here is what she had to say about the subject of the heart drops, "The heart drop comes in because I dedicated this book to Evi. One of my dear family members needed a stem cell transplant for survival and Evi was the donor who without thinking about her own discomfort helped my family to cure one of us which we as a family could not do because none of us were a match. During this process I realized also how difficult it is to explain Leukemia and a stem cell transplant to a child.  This is when I had the idea with the heart being happy and splitting into to heart drops (blood drops) through the motion of somersaults because the heart is very happy - it matched the idea of the Chinese proverb and also shows in a picture what happens during a stem cell transplant." I thought that was great and it all made sense.
I truly do love this book now and I think others will love it too! I think the book should come with a insertion about what the story is really about and how to interact with the story with your kids. I have enjoyed the book so much more after I learned what the story was all about!
Would I recommended this book to a friend? YES!
I received one or more of the products mentioned above for free using Tomoson.com. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment